Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Adventures in Breastfeeding aka "Battle of the Boobs"

So, second night in the hospital around 2 in the morning, the night nurse wheels Drew into our room for his feeding (YES - we kept him in the nursery overnight. We're all about free babysitting!!) He was a little skittish with the boob - he just wouldn't start sucking even though it was right there, so I called the nurse back in for a little advice. I know, I've done this twice before, but at 2 am, you just forget everything due to your exhaustion. She was a nice looking older woman, maybe in her 50s or 60s...a grandma type if you will. She suggested massaging the breast to help the colostrum come down. So I start to follow her advice...unfortunately, not to her satisfaction. She reaches over and grabs my boob herself and starts squeezing it. I looked over at Brian, who has to look away from me because he's going to bust out laughing at my look of horror, and then I almost bust out laughing because the only thing that keeps going through my head is that scene from "16 Candles" where Molly Ringwald's grandma says "Oh look, Fred. She's got boobies!" and then proceeds to feel her up. I really wanted to look at Brian and quote Molly's next line "I can't believe I just got felt up by my grandma". That, or I could have gone with something from my sister... "Hey lady! That ain't no horn you're honkin'!". Either way, everything's a little more amusing at 2 am.

3 comments:

  1. BAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

    This is just amazing. By the way, my 'secret word' from blogspot that I needed to type before posting the last comment was: "houtchai" is that a sneeze, or mandarin for hoochie? I just don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Again, the modesty thing just goes right out the window. Has breastfeeding gotten easier since then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haaaahaaa!! Marian, I think it's Mandarin for Hoochie. Jade, yeah, it's gotten a lot easier, actually. I was surprised, because with Charlie, I actually got a scab from her sucking so hard. I was preparing myself for the worst and it didn't happen....yet, anyway ;D

    ReplyDelete