Tuesday, March 30, 2010

No more breastfeeding

Well, I did it. I stopped breastfeeding and switched exclusively to formula. I know, it's only been 1 1/2 weeks, but after much emotional turmoil, I decided it was the best for my WHOLE family. With Drew being such a lazy eater, I was with him all the time and just couldn't give Emma and Charlotte the attention they needed from me. I spoke with my sister, who is a nurse and mother of 2, and she told me that I was under enough stress. Formula is wonderful these days and it's more important for me to be a good mommy to ALL of my children than to beat myself over the head trying to breastfeed one of them. I still struggle with my decision, but ultimately, I know that it's best. He actually seems to be doing better on formula - he's less gassy and seems to be more content than he was before. It's so tough! There's so much emotion attached to this decision because it's about the welfare of your child and it's permanent. Every mother wants to give her best to her children and everyone tells you "breastmilk is best"...but what good is breastmilk if you're constantly grouchy and screaming at everyone because your hormones are all over the place and you're excessively sleep deprived? I have to think about the welfare of all my children and I feel like this is the best way to do that.

3 comments:

  1. Aw hang in there, you'll have more and more peace about the decision to stop as the days go on and the hormones subside - trust me! I decided to quit several times and kept putting it off a few days... then a few more days... and finally I had to just pull the bandaid and do it, because it, along with pumping, was just taking up too much time :) You are an amazing mommy to 3 amazing little ones, so don't sweat it too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah...it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has struggled with this!! How are you doing? Your boys are getting so big!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl! I have had the worst couple of weeks because of breastfeeding, and have been on the verge of giving up constantly. Callen's latch was wrong, I had a clogged duct, then I have wretched cracks and everything is EXCRUCIATING! I am on the mend and we are surviving, but I have to say I DO NOT BLAME YOU for doing what's best for your family... I can't imagine how hard it would be with two little ones in addition to the newborn 'cause it's hard enough with an independent 4 yr old who is pretty good at playing by himself for a while.

    ReplyDelete