Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Breastpumping 101

Well, I pumped for the first time this morning because Drew is turning out to be a "snacker"...he'll only eat off one side at a time, and frankly, I don't want to look like a melon on one side and a prune on the other...hence the pumping. Anyway, Emma was very curious and I figure she's gonna have to learn about it somewhere, might as well be from me. So as I hooked up to the machine, I told her I was going to use the "boob sucker". (In our family, we have a tendency to come up with names for things based on their function...the bulb syringe is a "nose sucker", etc.) She gave me a very confused look and said, you're going to put it up your nose? "No, Honey, it's to get the milk out of Mommy's boobs so someone else can feed Drew if they want to." Continued confused look. "Mommy, why do you have that milk?" "Well, Sweetheart, it's the way God made it. Before there were bottles or formula, this was the only food babies had, and babies have to eat just like everyone else." Continued confusion. "I want to see" - as she sticks her head about 3 inches from my boobs. Staring, staring...then she sits back on her heels and says "I don't have milk" to which I have to explain to her, "No, only mommies who have just had babies have milk." "Oh, okay!", and then she was done being interested and ran off to play.

On a side note, my pump's early let-down setting definitely sounds like someone saying "Oh crap" over and over again...maybe that's the slap-happy lack of sleep talking. Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment